Sport Development Director
Sport Newfoundland and Labrador
Representing over 70,000 individuals, Sport Newfoundland and Labrador (SportNL) is a professional non-profit membership-based organization that is central to the development and delivery of organized sport in Newfoundland and Labrador – for everyone.
To strengthen sport delivery in our province, in partnership with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, we work collaboratively with our members to provide administrative and communications support, as well as program development and training support, for all parties engaged in the delivery of organized sport in our province. We ensure they have the most up-to-date resources and are educated on the ever changing landscape of best practices for sport delivery and organized sport today.
At SportNL, we believe the value of sport goes way deeper than winning trophies and medals. It goes beyond physical exercise, too. Our priority is to support the sport community in the delivery of organized sport throughout the province so that all participants have the best experience possible and inspiring everyone to be healthier, grow confidence, make friendships, and feel the reward of showing up and trying their best.
Overview of the Role
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Sport Development Director is responsible for the day-to-day management and oversight of SportNL programs and funding opportunities, member satisfaction and engagement, and overall communications strategy.
The Sport Development Director provides support, supervision, and leadership to program staff, sets overall direction for program outcomes and success measures, and evaluates program delivery to ensure they are meeting the needs of members and stakeholders, helping SportNL deliver on its mandate and mission. Additionally, they oversee the development and implementation of SportNL’s marketing, communication, and public relations activities to ensure we are building upon our brand, reaching our members and potential members effectively, and ensuring we continue to be a reliable and resourceful organization when it comes to sport in our province.
As the Sport Development Director, you will utilize your knowledge and experience in sport and programming to identify opportunities for growth in services and follow them through to completion; identifying gaps and proposing new services to fill identified gaps, identifying new funding opportunities, and motivating and empowering your team to deliver against identified goals. You have a natural ability to know your audience and build meaningful relationships that empower you to network in the community, engage with funders, represent the organization with consultations, and connect with other agencies to build partnerships to support program development and overall funding, enabling SportNL to deliver exceptional service to its members.
- A bachelor’s degree, diploma, or certificate in sport, recreation or arts management / administration, marketing and communications, business, or related discipline.
- A minimum of five (5) + years of progressive leadership experience in a related field; municipal government or public sector experience is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with strategic marketing, communications and public relations development and delivery.
- Demonstrated experience and proven success in grant and funding applications and initiatives.
- Proven financial management skills including resource allocation and fiscal responsibility.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills with a track record of innovation and results-oriented leadership.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including well-developed presentation skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal, relationship management, and collaboration skills.
- Ability to work under pressure while maintaining efficient time management, prioritization, and escalation.
- Proficient with computer software applications such as Microsoft Suite.
What We Offer
- Fair and equitable salary in line with market
- Vacation and leave entitlement
- Meaningful and impactful work
- Group benefit plan (health and dental)
- Education and Wellness Benefits
SportNL is committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment. We are a proud equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic that makes us unique.
If you require reasonable accommodation to take part in the employment process, please call 709-437-4300 or send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request.
Location: Greater St. John’s Metropolitan Area
Application Close Date: February 11, 2024